Over the years I have been truly blessed to be a part of many successful experiences like Graniteman. I would love to say that I have had more success than failure in my life, but success has always come hard, and usually attached to some significant life lessons. I have faced some of life’s major challenges such as business failure, near bankruptcy, divorce, and loss. Through it all, triathlon, training, and coaching has played a major role in my personal development. Not only in the sense, however, of self development, but most significantly in the sense that God has used the combination of my life’s successes and failures through sport and business to teach me about Himself, myself, and the world around me. Through all of life’s difficulties, God has met me in significant ways during long rides, runs, and swims. As a coach, while I labored for years on behalf of my athletes, He showed me how He is more patient with me and my shortcomings than I am even fully capable of understanding. He has used my kids and my wife to help me understand how deep his love is, and how great his grace is for those who call him Father.
As a coach, athlete, business owner, and a person, I am committed to living the life that God has given me in a way that glorifies Himself. I am not anywhere near sinless, but I hope to continue to sin less. I get my direction from the God of the Bible, trust in the saving grace of His Son Jesus Christ, and hope you will join me in doing so too.
My Personal Mission Statement:
“To help people CONQUER THEMSELVES, inside and out, through a saving relationship with the one true conqueror Jesus Christ”
I have learned to lean heavily on the following verses and the strength and wisdom they offer.
- 1 Corinthians 10:31 (Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God)
- 1 Corinthians 9:24 – 27 (Do everything you do so you have every opportunity to succeed)
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 (Therefore, I am well content with weakness, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; For when I am weak, then I am strong.)
- Colossians 3:23 (Whatever you do, do it heartily, as for the Lord rather than men)
- Matthew 7:13-14 (This life is not going to be easy, Make sure you are on the right path and enter the right gate)
- 1 Peter 2:12 (That they may look upon your good deeds and glorify God)
- Mark 10:27 and Luke 1:37 (All things are possible with God)
- 1 Corinthians 4:3-4 (The one who examines me is the Lord)
- Mathew 6:33 (Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness & all these things shall be added unto you)
- Mathew 6:34 (Focus on Today)
- Mark 8:36 (What good is it to gain the world and lose your soul)
- 1 John: Chapter 1 (Walk the Walk)
- James 3:2-10 (Control your tongue)
- James 1:2-4 (Trials are Good)
- Ephesians 2:8-9 (Saved only by God’s grace, nothing else!)